If you think hard enough about almost anything you can begin to make connections. Even with topics as different as characters in a Hollywood movie franchise and Scottish Whisky.
This is exactly what happened when we realised that the Avengers Infinity War is having its debut on the 26th of April. We started thinking about which characters would drink certain whiskies.
Also, last year Hollywood and the Avengers Team descended on Edinburgh to film part of the new movie. It seemed more than appropriate to think about the whiskies they might drink.
So to celebrate the release of the film, we have selected several whiskies that we think each character would drink during their time in Scotland. After all avenging the world is thirsty work.
Below is a list with our thoughts on which whiskies pair with which character
Characters and their paired Whisky:
- Thor (Chris Hemsworth) – Highland Park 18yo [Highland Park, uses its connection to the Vikings to promote its whisky, featuring the entire Valhalla range that consists of all the Norse gods: Loki, Thor etc.… As Thor is the older brother and heir to the thrown of Valhalla we have selected the 18yo, a more premium expression with very bold and strong flavors] .
- Loki (Tom Hiddleston) - Highland Park 12yo [Highland Park, uses its connection to the Vikings to promote its whisky, featuring the entire Valhalla range that consists of all the Norse gods: Loki, Thor etc.… As Loki is the younger brother, and not as strong as his brother we have the 12yo an equally good whisky with a more “mischievous” note.
- Tony Stark/Iron Man (Robert Downey JR.) – Johnnie Walker Red & Gold ] [In the Marvel Films, Tony Stark is often seen to be drinking a glass of whisky. We have discovered that his character enjoys Lagavulin and Johnnie Walker products. The iron man suit is coloured red and gold, so a cocktail incorporating this would be effective. Featuring Johnnie Walker Red & Gold.
- Steve Rogers/Captain America (Chris Evans) – Glenlivet Nadura First Fill Bourbon Cask. Steve Rogers does not have a favourite drink, but as he is named Captain America!!! We felt a good whisky for this, would be the most popular whisky in the United States: Glenlivet. As Captain America is very strong and punchy we opted for the cask strength version that is matured in Bourbon casks.
- Bruce Banner/Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) – Laphroaig Lore ] [The Hulk is a formidable green monster, Laphroaig is also a very strong whisky, and just so happens to come in a green bottle.
- Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) – Glenfarclas 105 ] [As she is referred to as the “Black Widow” we have chosen a whisky that features a black label, it also has some red trim which connects to her past as a Russian. It also happens to be Batch strength, we feel that a formidable strong assassin needs a strong Whisky] .
- Thanos (Josh Brolin) – Ardbeg Corryvrecken [The villain in this movie. He is an omnipotent evil being that seeks to control the universe and pretty much destroy everything. The Corryvrechan is the third largest Maelstrom (whirlpool) in the world. It destroys nearly everything that encounters it, and is a force to be reckoned with. Seems like a good relation if you ask me.
- Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) – Rascally Liqueur NMS Peated ] [This New Make Spirit is peated and if you look at the label you will see a ghostly figure on horseback being chased by a witch, this is Cutty Sark who chased Tam out of the village] .
- Nebula (Karen Gillan) – Glenmorangie Astar [A Scottish actress!!! She gets the Astar which was discontinued but brought back as it was so popular and coveted. As she is playing someone named after an astronomical feature we felt the Astar would be a good fit] .
- Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) – Highland Park Valkyrie [Not very imaginative, another Norse folklore character, who actually has a whisky named after them. Easy] .
Our attached bar has taken our recommended whiskies with these villains and heroes and created some fantastic cocktails for you to enjoy.