Glendronach ‘Valley of the brambles’ was founded by James Allardice in 1826. The story of Allardice is of an eccentric character and has many stories about him one of which involves him traveling to Edinburgh to try to sell his Glendronach whisky to Landlords and other publicans in the capital. After failing to sell his product he returned to his hotel feeling defeated, however he met, 2 “ladies of the night” who wanted him to take them out for a drink. He tells them he has his very own drink for them and returns to the hotel with 2 ladies on each arm, to the horror of the hotel staff. Word spread about this man and his whisky and his shenanigans and soon was the talk of the town, and all the bars on the royal mile where soon enough stocked up with Glendronach! Glendronach is now owned by Brown Forman after being sold along with Glenglassaugh and Benriach in 2016 from Benriach Whisky Distillery Company Limited for £285million. Glendronach is located near the village on Huntley in the Scottish Highlands. Glendronach has 2 wash and 2 spirit stills and a capacity of 1.4million litres
Glendronach is open to visitors.