Glenfarclas ‘valley of the green grass’ was built is 1836 by Robert Hay, by 1870 the Grant family, (J. & G. Grant), and is still owned and operated by them 6 generations later! The Distillery had shared ownership with the Grants in 1895 with Pattison Elder and Co, infamous for creative advertising. Seizing upon the mass eruption for demand of blended scotch round the world Pattison’s spend vast amounts of money on advertising some £60,000 by 1897 eventually leading to bankruptcy requiring the Grants to buy full ownership of the Distillery which they still own today. Some advertising included the distribution of parrots that were sent to grocers which were trained to say, “Buy Pattison’s!” Glenfarclas released the 1st commercially available cask strength whisky the Glenfarclas 105 proof (60%) in 1968 and in 1973 opened one of the 1st distillery visitor centres in Scotland. Glenfarclas has huge storage space some 34 dunnage warehouses holding up to 65 thousand casks. Glenfarclas is located in Ballindalloch in the heart of the Speyside. Glenfarclas has 3 wash and 3 spirit stills and a capacity of 3.5 million litres
Glenfarclas is open to visitors.