Dalmore ‘Big Meadow Land’ was built in 1839 by Alexander Matheson the distillery is located on the coast overlooking the Cromarty Firth. In 1886 after his death the distillery was sold to brothers Andrew & Charles Mackenzie. The stags head donned on all bottles of Dalmore represents the Mackenzie Clan emblem, which was gifted to the Mackenzie Clan in 1263 after the Chief Colin of Kintail saved King Alexander the 3rd, from a charging stag while hunting together. In 1917 the Royal Navy occupied the site for the production deep sea mines. In 1920 the navy left but not without accidently detonating a mine- which resulted in fire and damaged a large part of the distillery. Dalmore is located in the Highlands of Scotland in the village of Alness and is owned by Whyte & Mackay Ltd. Dalmore has 2 wash stills and 2 spirit stills and has a capacity of 4 million litres.
Dalmore is open to visitors.