Deanston distillery was built in 1965 by James Finlay & Co, however the site was actually cotton mill 1st built in 1785. In 1813 the mill was lit by gas, the 1st to be lit by gas in western Scotland. Deanston was powered by 4 large water wheels and by 1833 had the 2nd largest water wheel in the world powering the mill. To this day Deanston still runs on electricity generated by a water turbine and is the only distillery in Scotland to be completed self-sufficient in terms of electricity. In 1966 the 1st spirit was created and in 1971 the 1st single malt is released with name Old Bannockburn, 1974 was the 1st release to carry the name Deanston. Deanston takes its water and power from the Teith River. Deanston is located in the village it’s named after which is near Perth in the Scottish Highlands. Deanston is owned by Burn Stewart Distillers since 2013. Deanston has 2 wash and 2 spirit stills and has a capacity of 3 million litres.
Deanston is open to visitors.