Aultmore ‘Big Burn’ named after the large water supply the Auchinderran River, and is located near Keith in the heart of the Speyside. The distillery was built in in 1895 by Alexander Edward and originally was powered by a water wheel. Eventually the distillery was powered by a single steam engine, incredibly this engine ran day and night for 70 years, only stopping for maintenance and the back up the semi-retired water wheel was used to cover the maintenance. Aultmore were also the 1st to sell the draff, (spent barley), to local farmers for animal feed, a practise now commonly used at distillery’s. Aultmore has been owned by Bacardi since 1998. It has 2 wash stills and 2 spirit stills and a capacity of 3.2 million litres.
Aultmore is not open to visitors.