Glengoyne ‘Valley of the wild geese’ was founded in 1833 by the Edmonstone family at the foot of the Dumgoyne hill. It was bought over by the Lang brothers of Glasgow in 1876 and they decided to change the name to Glengoyne, however a mistake by a clerk who recorded the name as Glen Guin. It remanded Glen Guin till 1905 when it was finally changed officially to Glengoyne. Glengoyne is a peat free distillery opting to use warm air do dry off the barley during germination as opposed to peat and other methods. This giving the character to the whisky not unlike the lowland styles of whisky. Glengoyne though is a Highland distillery… just! Its location is only 30 mins away from Glasgow. Glengoyne sits on the Highland line, technically making it a Highland whisky as the spirit is distilled over the line in the highlands but is matured in the lowlands. The A81 road follows the line and passes through the distillery with the still house to the north of the road and the warehouses to the south. Glengoyne still uses Golden Promise barley to produce its whisky, a long abandoned barley that is great quality but does not give up much starch and sugars a major part of creating alcohol for whisky production. Glengoyne takes water from the Glengoyne burn. Glengoyne is located at Dumgoyne by Killearn. Glengoyne has 1 wash and 2 spirit stills and has a capacity of 1.1 million litres.
Glengoyne is open to visitors.