Dalwhinnie ‘meeting place’ was built in 1897 by John Grant, George Sellar and Alexander Mackenzie and was originally called Strathspey. It cost £10,000 to build, however the partnership went bankrupt and they were forced to sell the distillery to AP Blyth who then renamed it to Dalwhinnie. Dalwhinnie is one of the highest distilleries in Scotland 3548ft. The site was chosen for its spring water from the Lochan-Doire-Uaine and for the large amount of hill bogs that are full of peat. Dalwhinnie was the 1st distillery in Scotland to be purchased by a foreign company in 1905 by Cook & Bernheimer from New York for the sum of £1250. Today Dalwhinnie is owned by Diego and is part of Diageo’s classic malt range. The distillery is located in the Highlands of Scotland at the village of Dalwhinnie. Dalwhinnie has 1 wash and 1 spirit still and has a capacity of 2 million litres.
Dalwhinnie is open to visitors.